Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mood Rings



There is something happening with rings. Lately, or in the past year or two I guess, rings have started expanding in personality. No longer is the ring finger the primary spot for rings. In fact, not even the bottom of the finger by the crease is the primary placement for rings. Right now, with rings, anything goes. The more rings, the merrier the ensemble. About a month ago, I started wearing a ring an ex-boyfriend made me, but regrettably, as I have giant beast hands, the ring was too small. So, I decided to wear it above my knuckle hinge. Does that make sense? Its silver, and then I always couple it with this giant flat silver ring on my ring finger, that covers almost half of the actual finger. Then of course, the ring that I never take off...my thin gold band made by a Mississippi Amish couple. Its kind of a cool combination. I say, with rings wear as many or as mixed metals as possible.

I went to Round Top a couple of weeks ago, and the jewelry was OUT OF CONTROL. I am although most impressed by rough, natural and unusual stones, and the turquoise selection was no disappointment. Apparently the price of turquoise has gone up so much in the past ten years, because turquoise mines have all closed down. In fact, I believe the last turquoise mine left open in the U.S. is in Arizona, called the Sleeping Beauty. One turquoise vendor had ben collecting her pieces for 35 years. She was this sassy, southern woman with puffy blonde hair. She had an obese piece of turquoise on every finger. Some of her fingers were covered knuckle to nail in like three rings. The variation of turquoise ranged from rocky to smoothe, and from light green to a darker blue. I wanted to pluck every ring off her stuby fingers and put them in my deep harem pant pockets. Anyway, I recommend being creative with jewelry this Fall, namely with ring selection. If you dont think you could do stackable knuckle ring, or the double knuckle ring (I am uncomfortable with the double knuckle ring), then try stacking a couple thin bands on the usual ring finger. Or even choose a finger you don't usually wear rings on, and make a bold move. Alright, thats enough. Here are some photos...or there will be soon

No comments: