Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stories

I went on a hike today...i was feeling under the weather the past 4 days and had not encountered the outdoors in around 60 hours, so i decided to take a walk. The awful 60 were spent indoors sipping mint tea and watching entirely too many romantic comedies that the sound of that genre even in my head, makes me want to throw up. Anyway I went on a walk. I did some yoga on top of a hill in the sun. My parents community of condos, where I now reside, tops a hill of cedars. There is a clearing, and a small trail that goes down the hill and into the woods.

After a few sun salutations ( I can never really take myself seriously when I am doing yoga alone), I wandered into the woods. This is the part that baffles me. NEVER, in the many years I have taken walks into the woods, do I cease to expect some sort of mystical creature to appear with a crystal scepter, point it towards the trail and turn the rocks to diamonds, or some crazy fairy story of the sort. What is that about?? I mean ALWAYS, every time I walk into a forest, I expect some sort of magic to occur. I guess I crave a story. I think this must be a similar sentiment that Blonde Redhead felt when they wrote the album, Misery is a Butterfly, particularly "Elephant Girl". This song sounds like a dream that could definitely take place in the woods. Blonde Redhead has a new album...I have not heard it yet, because I am scared. I have too high expectations I think. I will report when I give it a purchase and a listen.

Another great band, good for telling stories-Sunset Rubdown. Every song is like a complete novel. Their word choice is picturesque and always descriptive. The music unfolds, like with each verse you are turning a page...magical.

One stylista that tells a beautiful story with her wardrobe is my ultimate and most favorite style star...CATHERINE BABA...Is she a bohemian? A nomad? A woman who must wear all her possessions at once? Is she from the 20's era? The 70's? Or the 80's? Or is she simply a fantastic breath of fashion fresh air to the bore of fashion that has become our modern culture? Either way, je l'adore.
...more on BABA soon

No comments: